Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mug shots

I envy countries whose citizens don't need visas to travel to other countries as tourists. Very few countries don't require them from Filipinos and most of them are in Asia. To visit the U.S., Canada, Australia or any European country, we need a visa (not that I blame them, but that's a story for another day). The documents that accompany the application form basically have to prove that, one, we have the means to support ourselves while we're in their country and, two, we will go back to the Philippines after the trip. That means bank statements and a return ticket. Visa applications cost too, hence the check, and the photo requirements are so strict (no smiling!), they always end up looking like mug shots. The Canadian embassy has one over the others though: it doesn't require a personal appearance, so there is no likelihood of a consul's personal prejudices affecting the application negatively.

Canadian visa application documents


Today, my husband and I are off to Toronto for the wedding of my eldest nephew, the son of one of my brothers. This will be our farthest and longest trip yet, and we're both very excited. And since my other brother and my aunt (my mom's only sister) will be flying in with their families too, this will be a truly special occasion for me. I scheduled posts for the three weeks that we will be away and I'm hoping that my brother has an extra computer that I can use while we're there, but if I don't get to visit your blogs in the next few weeks, you know why. Be good, be safe, be happy.