Monday, September 27, 2010

Underwood Typewriter Company


Today's picture is from the early 1900's, and shows the exterior of the Underwood Typewriter Company. I love the old delivery truck.

I enjoyed all the comments yesterday about typewriters. It is definitely an era that is coming to an end, but it sounds like there are still a few typewriters being used out there.

The picture below show the interior of the building above.


I find the layout of the office interesting. First, there appears to be a lot of empty space. The desks are spaced out pretty far and there is a large hallway between the rows of desks.

This is another room from the same building.

Again, the people are working in a "bullpen" area, with no dividing walls. Today, I think cubicles are more the norm. Cubicles create the opportunity for people to goof off at work . . . personal phone calls, surfing the WEB, reading magazines, playing tetris and so forth. I wonder if there was more or less goofing off in the office back then. I would bet overall less.