Sunday, October 24, 2010

Anarchy Week

Welcome to Anarchy Week here at OPOD. This is a topic I am interested in, but don't really understand too well. In the early 20th century there was a big anarchist movement. Anarchist come in many different flavors, but pretty much, they believe that there should be no government at all. They believe society should function without a "State" or "Government". I wish I knew someone who believed this, so I could better understand how this would work. I would think that if there were no government, there would be some people who would choose to be strong. The weak would seek protection from the strong, and then the strong could easily control them. I would think that if a state of anarchy existed, it would quickly turn into a state of feudalism. I think the early 20th century anarchist believed that people would organize themselves into peaceful commune type communities. This would be fine, but what happens when one commune decides to arm themselves, and expand their territory.

Anyway, the picture above is of Alexander Berkman and Helen Harris, tow of the leading anarchist of the early 1900's.