Friday, July 23, 2010

Locomotive on Trestle


This picture was taken in 1913. There is not much information on the picture, but the caption claims that the bridge is the highest single piling trestle in the world.

I have enjoyed reading your train travel stories this week in the comments. Sounds like a lot of people have had good experiences, and a lot have had some bad experiences.

I did have a chance once to ride one of those super fast bullet trains. It was in England, and I was going from London to another city (oops, forgot where I was going, but remember the train ride). I enjoyed the ride but it  took a little while to get used to it. The train travels at close to 200 miles per hour. When you are sitting there, things at eye level a few feet from the railroad track whiz by you, at you get a feeling like something is going to hit you. The ride was smooth, but you had to get used to the things whizzing by so close. Overall though, the best train ride I ever took was the original narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton. If you have never done that you need to find a way to fit it in one day.