Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dirty?

Ever since I was a little kid, I've always just known the ice cream in these colorful carts as "dirty" ice cream. My guess is that it was to distinguish this cottage industry ice cream from those made in big, commercial factories. And because these industries aren't strictly regulated, their sanitation and hygiene standards probably leave a lot to be desired. Thankfully, I haven't heard of anyone getting sick from eating "dirty" ice cream, which began with flavors which are distinctly Filipino: cheese (my favorite), ube (purple yam), buko (coconut) and mango, though more standard flavors like strawberry and chocolate are also available. You can choose between a wafer cone or a sugar cone or, if you find the serving size in cones too small (like my friend), you can bring your own glass and the sorbetero will fill it to the brim.

'dirty' ice cream cart