Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cigar Shop


Today's picture is from about 1900, and it shows an old Cigar Shop. I spent quiet a bit of time this week complaining about modern grocery stores. On a positive note, I will say that I believe cigar shops to be positively old school on customer service. Not that I visit cigar stores or anything. First, each cigar store is run by an owner/proprietor. Each store is unique, and represents the interests and tastes of the owner. They typically have rich warm carpet, lots of woodwork and cabinetry, and then a wonderful walk in humidor. A cigar shop usually will have some fine leather chairs, and you are welcome to sit down, visit with others, read the paper, and enjoy a fine smoke. The owner is passionate about cigars, and if you went in one to buy a fine cigar as a gift, the owner would spend lots of time with you helping you pick out the perfect cigar. I have heard that often when you come out of the humidor with a selection of several cigars, the owner will ask you how much they were, in effect, trusting you to tell him the correct price of his cigars. I think they do this on purpose as a sign of respect to customers. Others out there might have other good examples of exceptional customer service in other niche markets, but for me, I believe Cigar Shops are among the best when it comes to customer service.