Monday, March 22, 2010

Another first

The Far East Broadcasting Company (FEBC) is an international Christian radio network that broadcasts programs in 130 languages. Founded in 1945 by Americans John Broger and Robert Bowman, it set up its largest Asian base in the Philippines and it went on air in the country in 1948. The offices, homes and dormitories of the missionaries of FEBC Philippines are in Valenzuela, one of Metro Manila's northern-most cities, bordering on the province of Bulacan where their transmitters are located. (This is just a back-up transmitter.)

Far East Broadcasting Company (FEBC) Philippines


I have to say that blogging about Metro Manila has given me so many new experiences this past year, not the least of which was getting invited by FEBC (702 DZAS in Manila) as a guest in one of their radio programs last week. Meet Lem and Lj, the hosts of the Monday to Friday "Pinoy Espesyal" (Filipino Special) program. Lem and Lj are so natural that the interview felt just like having a discussion with friends. I think I still sounded nervous though, because that booth is cold and I couldn't stop shivering!

Lem and Lj, hosts of the radio program Pinoy Espesyal in 702 DZAS


When they were winding up the show, I was able to take a photo of CJ, their radio technician, in his booth. It's a good thing I keep my camera's shutter sound off—I didn't notice the 'on air' light until I downloaded the photos.

CJ, the technician of the radio program Pinoy Espesyal in 702 DZAS


I'd like to thank Lj for this singular experience, and I hope I didn't do too badly. It was great meeting so many nice people in FEBC and it was wonderful walking around their large and green compound. It didn't feel like it's in the middle of busy and crowded Valenzuela City and I'll post photos of it soon.