Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sharecropper Daughter

I enjoyed Tobacco Week so much last week that I decided this week will be Sharecropper Week. We start with this picture, taken in 1935, and showing the daughter of an Alabama Sharecropper.

Mystery Person Contest Update:

Well, looks like I will have to declare myself the winner in yesterday's contest. I am really surprised no one got it, as these were not obscure figures. First the man in the white suit. He was James K. Vardaman. He was governor of Mississippi and US senator from Mississippi. His supporters were primarily blue collar workers and rural farmers and laborers. He had somewhat of a grassroots populist movement going, and his followers started wearing red neckerchiefs, and started calling themselves "Rednecks", which I guess is where that term came from.

The lovely lady was the widow of Rebel General James Longstreet. He married her later and life, and she was young. The amazing thing is that Mrs. Longstreet did not die until 1962. I was born in 1961, so I find it fascinating that I was alive at the same time as the widow of a Confederate General. Makes the war seem not so long ago.