Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Street Peddler in Cuba

I don't know about you all, but I am really enjoying peddler week. You don't see street peddlers in most parts of the US any more. Maybe a few cities have people who sell food from carts on the streets, but that is about all. These peddlers were really entrepreneurial, and were actually small businessmen. They had to sell their wares, or they did no eat. I like how this guy is selling rugs and brooms. When you carry your entire inventory with you, product selection is probably key. I can see that brooms and rugs make sense selling together. You sell the rug, and then say, "Would you like to purchase a fine broom to protect your new investment?" Then probably most of the profit margin is on the brooms.

Domestic Update:

Yesterday after supper I had a wonderful watermelon for dessert. It was delicious. While the watermelon grew well in the greenhouse, I don't think I will try that again. The vine starts taking over, you don't get a lot of  fruit for the space it takes up, and the blooms have to be hand pollinated, which is difficult on watermelons.