Monday, December 13, 2010

What's so special about red?

I watched the HGTV White House Christmas decoration show last night; I've been watching this every year for a while now.  The hostess this year, Genevieve Gorder, said something very intriguing. She said that red is the only color that always matches perfectly with itself in all its various shades. Is that really true? You can make an all purple knitted project that wouldn't look good? Of course now I want to do an all red knitting project.
 
I did find an old blurry photo of an all-red Spontaneous Scarf I knit in a zillion shades of red.



I also remember hearing from a quilting show that red can be used as a neutral with other colors. After that I knit my Peace Gloves in a background  of red with all pastels. They turned out better than I thought they would.


I just finished adding some color theory links for the Stranded group on Ravelry and I thought I'd share them here. 
  
Suzyn’s Color Theory for Knitters - from Knitty

Technicolor Knitting by Julie Theaken in Knitty  (Wouldn't this be a great name for a book?)

PDF from Knit Picks on Color Theory

Color Theory - Color Choice in Knitting: How to Select a Color Palette for Knitting Projects - Suite 101

Knitter’s Review - How to Use a Color Wheel