Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Best Camera I Ever Had
Point and Shoot

Recently I picked up a Canon S90 10MP Point-n-shoot camera for those times when I don't want or need to lug around my digital SLR.


The camera you have with you at anytime is without a doubt the best camera you will ever use. That sounds like a weird statement but one that rings true. Let me explain why...

We live in a time where technology has made it possible that anyone and everyone can use and enjoy photography. Digital cameras have exploded in popularity and in reality there is no excuse to not have one. There are many different types, styles and prices on digital cameras, from the very inexpensive point-n-shoots, entry level SLR's to of course high-end models. There is just about a camera for any budget or need. Many cameras today also shoot video making them even more versatile to capture events or moments that literally fit in your shirt pocket. Also today's cell phones also have built-in cameras and it's hard to find anyone who doesn't have one. With the explosion of social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, Flickr and many more, photography has become embedded into the fabric of our lives.


For me, lugging around my professional camera and all those heavy lenses and accessories really doesn't make sense. Now don't get me wrong, I carry it a lot, but those times when I am out with friends or family I have found it not only easier but smarter to just take a small pocket camera to capture the moments. These small pocket cameras do very well under normal lighting situations and since they don't require much in terms of setting up since you turn it on and push a button. It really doesn't get any simpler then that. What I have found that I can "relax" and have fun capturing some very interesting and unique images at the spur of the moment. I have also found, especially when at a party or with family that they are much more receptive to my handiwork for many times when I have taken my big cameras, they will shy away and it changes the mood entirely.


Point and Shoot

Here is just a small collection of the thousands of images I would of never of gotten had I not had my pocket camera with me. Some were taken with a variety of Canon Point-n-shoot models as well as my iPhone. While I would never be able to use them commercially since they aren't of the size required they are valuable to me since they document a moment in my life.



Many cameras also have the ability for you to use "creative zones" for those times when you want to be creative, as well they all have some outstanding macro abilities that rival lenses that costs hundreds of dollars more. Now while you won't be able to do everything you could with a professional camera I have found these latest models on the market today are up to the task very well. My take it is better to have a snapshot to remember then nothing at all. For anyone who has ever gone on vacation will tell you that lugging around a camera bag full of gear and a tripod is not real fun and it is better that you if you go on a vacation it should be a photography one and not when you are with your friends or family for they will not wait around for an hour at sunset just to get one shot.


One other benefit I have also found that when there are times you only have your pocket camera they also are perfect for "scouting". If I see a landscape, cityscape or whatever that catches my eye, I will take a photo using my pocket camera to mark what I see as well as give me a visual reference of light, contrasts and such. I can then use that information to plan my next visit when I can make time with my professional SLR to capture just what I wanted. You would be surprised at just what you can see when you have limited choices in terms of equipment and actually forces you to be more creative in your compositions. So the next time you want to travel light, take along a nice compact camera and have fun and don't miss an opportunity again!


Want to learn more in-depth composition and how to take your images to the next level? Then join me for the most comprehensive course taught on the internet about composition today! Click here to learn more about "Must Know" Fundamentals of Composition.

Robert La Follette
www.robertlafollette.com