Thursday, December 24, 2009

When More is Too Much?

First, I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas Eve. Yep, we still say "Merry Christmas" here at OPOD. It is a season we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, who came into the world to save us from our sins. So there, I said it. How come we think that is so offensive today . . . that God decided to come to earth, and give us the free gift of Eternal Life. Call us old fashioned but that is what we believe here, and see no reason to take the good news out of the season.

With that of the way, lets get to the pictures. The picture above was taken in the 1910's, and shows a man with one big Handlebar Mustache. Notice that below the nose, it covers both the top and bottom lips. One wonders how one would eat with so much mustache in the way. For example, if he were sipping soup, one would think that the mustache would act as a soup strainer. I will say though that he does keep it immaculately manicured. Perhaps it even does not look that bad, but would be a big effort to keep clean and free of food debris. Overall, I think it looks pretty good, although I would never attempt to wear such a mustache.


I am not sure what to say about the mustache above. It looks like an unkempt lawn. This is one big bushy mustache, and appears to be growing wild. I feel if one chooses to wear this much facial hair, more effort should be expended in keeping it in check. I am afraid he either needs to neaten it up, or get rid of it.

DOMESTIC UPDATE:

Several people have asked about the baby chickens I mail ordered them in the summer and they came in the fall. I showed several pictures when they were just little chickies. I am happy to report that all ten have grown up, and have turned out to be quite a handsome flock of chickens. Below I present a picture of Chickie Town. You can see the flock of chickens in the foreground. In the background, you can see the chicken coup I had built for them. It is a neat design, and on the front, there is a flap door over the laying boxes, so you can lift it up and take the eggs out without having to walk in. I stole the design from the Amish, as I figured they probably know as much as anyone about raising chickens. There is a little pen to the side that is coon proof. The chickies put themselves to bed in the evening, and all I have to do is go out and close the little door. The chickies are very sociable. Each one has its own personality, and I really enjoy going out and giving them a little treat and watch them be chickens.

Behind the chicken coup, and to the right, you can see the peacock palace for Lovie, Handsome Jack, and the babies. The peacocks and chickens get along OK, but the peacocks don't put up with the chickens antics and let them know that they are two flocks, not one big happy flock.

On the topic of eggs, production has been somewhat disappointing to date. So far egg count is a big fat zero. I have yet to harvest my first egg from this operation. I am hopeful that in spring, I will start seeing eggs in the egg boxes.